An outstanding opportunity for students passionate about Science and Engineering
In 2006, NTU initiated this programme, specially designed for exceptional students with a deep passion in science and engineering, for the high-technology world of the 21st century. It shares the same philosophy as the Caltech Core Curriculum and the MIT General Institute Requirement in providing a strong and broad foundation in the basics of science and mathematics so as to empower the student to delve deeper into any discipline in science, technology, engineering and mathematics, and to develop an interest in leading edge research. Importantly, the CN Yang Scholars Programme provides students an opportunity to pursue independent research in NTU’s College of Science or College of Engineering. These research opportunities allow scholars to immerse themselves in research culture as early as year one.
Students graduating from the challenging undergraduate programme will be awarded a special certificate on top of the degree certificate. Graduates who meet the admission requirements are given an option to pursue accelerated postgraduate study (PhD) with a top scholarship as well as overseas attachment. It is however not mandatory for students to pursue this option after graduating as a CN Yang Scholar with a Bachelor Degree.
– Guaranteed overseas exchange for one semester with one-time award of S$5,000*.
– Guaranteed four years of stay in NTU halls of residence.
– Opportunities for research attachment with monetary allowance as early as year one.
– Opportunities for accelerated post-graduate study (PhD).
– Opportunities for attending an international conference with full subsidy.
– Opportunities to meet top leading scientists and academics.
– Participation in programmes offered by the NTU Institute of Advanced Studies.
– Every student will be assigned a mentor who will provide guidance for the student’s whole academic programme at NTU.
* Nanyang Scholarship awardees will receive the allowance under the travel grant of Nanyang Scholarship.
I was first introduced to the CN Yang Scholars Programme at the NTU Open House and was strongly attracted to the numerous opportunities provided in research, overseas attachments, as well as post-graduate studies. Furthermore, with the Nanyang scholarship, I would be able to focus more on my studies and also continue pursuing my interests in other non-academic aspects such as Touch Football and the Sports Club, without any financial worries.
Being part of this prestigious programme, I am exposed to many different modules that have made me realise the close relationship across the many disciplines of NTU. Also, CNYSP has allowed me to foster strong bonds with friends from different schools and through activities such as the CN Yang Scholars’Annual Dinner and Dance. The constant academic challenges posed by the programme has shaped me to become a more disciplined and determined person to reach higher grounds.
I look forward to seeing you on campus!
-Lai Chien SiewLAI CHIEN SIEW
Year 2, Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and Biological Chemistry School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, NTU